Thursday 16 September 2010

Questions To... Dawn Martinello


Interview date: June 15, 2010

Dawn Martinello is virtual business assistant and the founder of Monday Morning VA.

Where did the idea come from to become a Virtual Assistant and can you describe the process of creating your business MondayMorningVA?

You know, kids really change everything - and mine turned my world upside down. When I was pregnant, I had every intention of returning to my office job working for one of the largest customs brokerages around. I even began a grueling course during my maternity leave so I wouldn't fall behind and could continue to upgrade my skills. That ALL changed when I had my son.
I knew almost instantly that I couldn't return to work and leave my son in daycare so I started brainstorming ideas on how to work from home and still bring in some money. When he was 4 months old, we were at a local festival and someone shoved an Avon catalogue at me. She chatted to me about my kid and threw in the bonuses that surrounded starting an Avon business. A month later I decided to try it out - because it was only $20 and I could get stuff at a discount. Turned out that I was really good at teaching people how to create a business that worked for them. I did that for nearly two years.
As my son grew, it became harder to manage my business AND him, so I started looking for new ideas. I found a company that was hiring Virtual Assistants on a part time basis so I applied. Turns out, I was pretty darned good at that too and the job lasted about a year. The economy was tanking in our area, my truck driving hubby was out of work, and we needed a solid income. With $20 in the bank and a pocketful of talent and ambition I set out to create Monday Morning VA and it's been growing ever since.

Can you explain what a Virtual Assistant exactly does, what the benefits are and why it is recommended for people who just start to launch their business to hire a Virtual Assistant?

Everything that is done in your business can be dumped into two buckets: one that requires your specialty - this is the stuff that makes you money - and all the things that need to be done behind-the-scene in your business. Behind-the-scenes work doesn't require your specialty and it definitely doesn't bring in any money, but it still needs to be done. When you launch your business, it can get overwhelming as you try to figure out how to manage your social media, or handle your books. Hiring a VA with the proper skill set means you can spend all your time doing what you do best.

What would be the differences between a Virtual Assistant and a Personal Assistant?

PA's generally work in person and with just one client whereas VA's work virtually and with many clients. Some PA's manage the personal/professional lives of their clients but don't necessarily need to have specialized skills. When working with a VA you are hiring them for a very specific skill set such as their bookkeeping knowledge, or their skill as a graphic designer.

How does it feel for you to wake up in the morning and do the work you do?

Amazing. This type of life was fictional when I was a kid, so the idea of being able to support my family with my work really rocks my socks. I love working with entrepreneurs who are moving up in their business and it's super inspiring to know that my company is playing a part in that.

Can you describe a day in the life of Dawn Martinello on a working day?

One thing that I love about this business is that the work is often different from day-to-day, but generally my day starts out with an hour going through my daily email and calendar so I'm prepared to take on the day. From 9 to 4 I work on various client projects and work with my team to ensure they have the information needed to work on their assignments. After dinner and an evening with my family, I'm back to work - either finishing up client projects, writing blogs, or preparing some new ideas for my business.

Where does your daily inspiration come from?

So many things keep me inspired. My son motivates me to do better every day. My desire to make the world a better place for him is completely overwhelming. Meditation and energy healing are new loves of mine and provide an endless supply of insight and inspiration. Online, I love reading whitehottruth.com for inspiring posts on business and spirituality. A new love of binduwiles.com has developed over the past few weeks. She's a creative coach who's newest project (21.5.800) has actually spurred me to try Yoga.

How would you describe "uniqueness"?

Uniqueness is all about separating yourself (or your product) from the rest of the crowd. It's putting you into whatever you do.

What “do you think” does it takes to create something unique?

You don't have to have a brand new idea to create something unique - you can put your own spin on something that's already out there. If you're aware of what makes you unique, you'll have a head-start on making something unique. For example, people always comment on the fact that they feel like they "know" me because I write the way I talk making it easy to relate to me. Knowing this means that I could take a current product or idea and re-tell the story to my audience in a way that only I know how to do. Through my unique style of writing, I can create a new and unique product from a current idea. That's a really easy and quick way of creating a new product. Using this type of methodology means you have to know yourself and your strengths. The example I gave wouldn't work for you if you weren't able to create a persona through your writing, or if you weren't particularly great at writing.

How important is social media to you and which social media site do you like best?

Too few people really understand how powerful social media truly is. When I started my company in 2009 I had $20 in my bank account - definitely not enough to start advertising on or off line so I started with Twitter. Within 2 weeks I had my first two clients. Within a few months my practice was filled and I had to hire some contractors to help out with the workload. Through Twitter, I've met some fabulous friends/peers (who also double as fabulous resources in my business) such as @nickeyh, @yoursavvyva, and @christinavos. It's no surprise then, that Twitter is my favourite social media outlet for business. I still use Twitter even though we have a steady stream of new clients coming through the doors. Keeping in touch with my clients via Twitter just makes sense.


What is the best part of doing the work you do and what has been the most exiting thing or project for you to do so far?

The best part of my job is that I can work from home and that my work days are always different. It allows me to meet SO many people and affords me the opportunity to learn from a number of great people. The most exciting project thus far was working on @daniellelaporte's Fire Starter Sessions book. I'm not sure who was more excited seeing the first sale - her or me. It's also given me the opportunity to "meet" so many people that I would have never had the chance to otherwise like @jadecraven who lives waay on the other side of the world and is rocking her business in a way that feeds the soul.


Do you have any new plans coming up for your business MondayMorningVA?

Do I ever. There are going to be a lot of information products coming out over the summer - everything from managing your stress and fear in business to practical learning primers for people wanting to start social media or Wordpress. In the fall, I'll be launching NOVEL IDEAS - a program designed for people who want to launch their e-products into the stratosphere!

What advice would you give to people who are just starting out and want to launch their own creative business?

Don't give up. I know, it's cliche right? But the meaning is two-fold. The obvious is don't ever give up on your dream - find a way to make it work. The other is that you can't ever stop evolving - personally or business-wise. Don't give up. Don't settle. Shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment